Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Courgette and Potato Fritters

I've just come home from a week away where I learnt some brilliant food ideas and spent the week eating whole, organic vegetarian food. I've been inspired by the chef - he was amazing!
I'm trying to get extra vegetables into the children, as come dinner time they are both tired and less likely to eat much. I took some of the techniques I had learnt and added them to a recipe that I love to create a yummy fritter that both children ate (almost leaving none for us!) It was full of fresh yummy veges out of my garden and tasted great. It does have a few steps, but nothing difficult or too time consuming but they make the fritters lovely and light.

Courgette and Potato Fritters

2 courgettes, grated
1 cup of grated potato
Pinch of salt
Handful of mint leaves
1 teaspoon of Lemon zest
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites
1/2 cup flour

Preheat your oven to 180c. Combine the grated courgette and potato in a bowl with a pinch of salt and put to the side. In another bowl beat the eggs whites until stiff. Squeeze as much liquid as you can out of the courgette and potato mixture then add chopped mint, lemon zest, egg yolks and flour. Mix till combined. Add a spoon of the egg white and gently mix until incorporated. Fold in the rest of the egg white until just combined but still fluffy.
Heat a frying pan with a splash of olive oil and fry on both sides till brown, then place on a lined tray. Once you had browned all of the fritters, place in the oven to finish cooking - about 20 minutes. They come out nice and crispy and fluffy - yum!


1 comment:

  1. Yummy - I am going to do this tonight. I have courgettes coming out my ears!!!! Yay to having a blog

    ReplyDelete